The Bulldogs cross country team had success mixing things up at the Eureka Mixed-Up Relays on Thursday.
Whitefish claimed three of the top five spots at the race, with the duo of Bridger Gaertner and Jessica Henson taking first place (35.18). Miles Vrentas and Jade Greenberg (35.21) took second, while Colter Gaertner and Ella Greenberg took fifth (36.28).
As a team Whitefish took first overall in the meet that featured Eureka, Thompson Falls and Libby.
This week the Bulldogs will head over to Columbia Falls for the Western A Classic meet on Saturday.
Head coach Richard Menicke said some sickness and injuries among the team have the lineup shifting a bit, but he’s excited to see how some JV athletes do at the varsity level.
“Our focus is on competing as well as possible, but keeping our eye on the bigger state meet a week later,” Menicke said. “Last year we peaked at conference, and we are training through the classic to some degree, trying to find some magic in Missoula [at state].”
Menicke said his goals for this week’s race are to get the girls within the top three teams overall and the boys in the top five.
2018 Eureka Mixed Up Relay (2 x (2x1.5))
Tr. 10/4/18 Indian Springs GC, Eureka, MT
Whitefish 25 (1-2-5-8-9-12-15)
LCHS - Eureka 38 (3-4-7-11-13-16-17)
Thompson Falls 85 (6-14-18-23-24)
Libby 92 (10-19-20-21-22)
1. Whitefish 1 (B. Gaertner, J. Henson) 35:18
2. Whitefish 2 (M. Vrentas, Jade Greenberg) 35:21
5. Whitefish 3 (C. Gaertner, E. Greenberg) 36:28
8. Whitefish 4 (J. Henson, J. Vardell) 37:41
9. Whitefish 5 (Z. Dunnagan, B. Hobson) 38:03
12. Whitefish 6 (T. Dunnagan, A. Robertson) 38:59
15. Whitefish 7 (J. Pemberton, E. Wilde) 40:56
16. Whitefish 8 (A. Horowitz, P. Cooke) 41:04
16. Whitefish 9 (B. Garcia, E. Gunlikson) 42:46
16. Whitefish 10 (A. Calaway, M. Horton) 42:57
18. Whitefish 11 (B. Black, A. Wilmot) 43:54
18. Whitefish 12 (K. Macdonald, S. Flanagan) 45:29
21. Whitefish 13 (JP Koch-Ford, A. Benedikt) 46:48